Highway 431 Blog

Friday, May 23, 2008

The Great Speckled Bird Would Have Been 40!

There will be a celebration in Atlanta tomorrow, the 24th, of what would have been the anniversary of The Great Speckled Bird, one of this nation's premier alternative papers. Here is where the information about the celebration is happening. Amy Goodman of Democracy Now will be there. I wish I could make it, but that will not be possible.

I fondly remember The Great Speckled Bird being sold on street corners primarily by homeless people picking up a few extra dollars to see them through the day. Unfortunately The Bird went out of business not long after I moved to Atlanta. The premier alternative paper in Atlanta now is, I imagine, still Creative Loafing, but I also very fondly remember The Atlanta Gazette which also had a relative short run, but which had some truly good writing.

Here is some more very interesting information about The Bird.

I wish I could go!

No comments: