Highway 431 Blog

Friday, July 3, 2009

Parker Griffith's Health Care Town Hall Meeting ::

Well, I was able to get to the Davidson Center with time to spare as the event started a few minutes late. Everyone seemed happy with the turnout although I was hoping for more and there were adherents of both sides in attendance.

After an introduction and some opening remarks by Griffith the floor was quickly opened to questions, or what should have been questions but which devolved into long dissertations. There were obviously strong feelings on both sides with those opposed to a government option or single-payer seeming to be the loudest. There were tales of woe when dealing with insurance companies and hospitals, but far too much time was spent on personal statements when the time would have been much better spent asking clear, concise questions of Griffith. Many more people could have been accommodated.

Griffith seemed open to supporting a government option in health care coverage and made it a point to say that he would be introducing legislation to require lawmakers to utilize the government option for their own health care if it becomes law. Seems like more than a bit of pandering to me, but we'll see what happens. I didn't detect any support from Griffith for a single-payer system. This didn't really surprise me, but I will continue to push him to support just such a system.

The cost of health coverage drew some commentary, but I felt that the question of cost continues to be terribly misunderstood. Most people look at their paycheck and only see the premium deduction without also considering what the employer has to pay. My personal deduction is right at $170/month, but the total with what my employer pays is just under $900/month. I also have a health savings account which I use for deductibles and miscellaneous medical expenses which is another $1950/year so I am very aware of what the insurance companies and big pharma get from me each year. These are costs which must be addressed.

I would have also like to have seen more discussion about the lack of competition between insurance companies here in Alabama. Blue Cross has just over 80% of the market sewn up and Griffith said that he would support legislation requiring insurers to compete nationwide. That, coupled with a government option, could help to lower costs, but I am once again skeptical!

One thing that Griffith said was interesting to me. He stated, and later reiterated, that he felt that health care was an inherent right rather than a privilege. I was happy to hear this, but I couldn't help but think that he left unstated "if you can pay for it"! I hope I'm wrong. Maybe I'm just getting too suspicious in my old age!

I hope the town hall meeting becomes a regular event here in Huntsville, but everyone should be more focused with their comments and questions!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Dear Fred,
I came across your blog when I was searching if our congressmen were planning another town hall meeting during their recess. I read your ideas with interest because I really am trying to understand why Americans would consider much less want a public heath care option. I have worked in healthcare for over a decade and know there are certainly things that could be improved. To suggest though that healthcare is a right that should be free to all is unbelievable. You seem resentful that "Big Pharma" charges so much for medications. Do you have any idea how long it takes to find a new "molecule", study it, submit to the FDA, and get to market? Forget how long, do you have any idea how much it cost to get one new drug to market? How are those cost recouped? Should those great scientist be paid $50000 per year for their research or should they be paid according to their education & experience? Have they not worked for that priviledge? So yes, drugs are expensive. Generics are not. Thank goodness there is protection from generics for new drugs, otherwise any company can copy the new drug without doing the work to find it. There is nothing wrong with capitalism. I pay for my own healthcare. When I was laid off, I paid for my own policy, as well as, for my family. Why? Because it was crucial in case of emergencies. I did not purchase a plan for every sniffle and medicine. Doesn't that make sense? By the way, what about all the illegals in North Alabama? Should I pay higher taxes, so that they can go to the doctor with a cold, when I wouldn't take my own daughter? Or if I did take her, I paid out of pocket. Our healthcare is not perfect, but it is top notch. It is not, however, my responsibility to pay for yours or the girl down the street who wants an abortion. So you pay $3000 a year, how much do you spend on food, clothing, housing? Shouldn't everyone have a right to those things as well? Please take the time to consider who is paying for this and how a bankrupt nation will affect our children!