Highway 431 Blog

Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Water Tragedy Or An Exercise? ::

I was down at Ditto Landing a couple of hours ago and the rescue squad was gearing up to go out. I didn't ask what was going on and they were in no hurry so either they were preparing for an exercise or for a recovery effort. I hope it was an exercise!

I never cease to be amazed at the stupid things people do on the water. I love being on the water and I have always placed safety first. The only close call I ever had was an outboard fire from a split fuel line once, but it was not a big problem. The wife was prepared to abandon ship, but a cooler head, mine, prevailed. Cost me $2.00 to fix that problem. I have always felt that panic is the leading cause of marine deaths.

As an aside, I spent 4 years in the US Navy and never set foot on a ship!

No comments: