Highway 431 Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Fresh Produce ::

I stopped by Sparks Farm yesterday morning to see what they had to offer this early in the season and, unfortunately, it's still a week or two early. They had a few different varieties of squash, some cucumbers, and a few tomatoes. Apparently the okra should be ready in the next couple of weeks, but the silver queen corn crop was almost totally lost to the drought conditions earlier in the year. I hope that all growers did not suffer the same fate with their corn since I usually put about 15 dozen ears in the freezer each year. I should be picking up a bushel of okra next week from another grower that I deal with each year. That will pretty much kill an entire day getting it ready for the freezer.

I'll leave you with a recipe:

Canteloupe Cream Pie


Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
2 t. flour
3 eggs‐beaten
2 cup pureed cantaloupe
1 teasp vanilla
2 t. butter
1 baked 8” pieshell
1 cup whipped cream
Combine sugar and flour in saucepan. Cook over medium heat. Add eggs, mix well. Stir in pureed
cantaloupe. Cook 8‐10 minutes stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat,
stir in vanilla and butter. Cool. Pour into pie shell and spread with whipped cream.
Chill and serve.


Having given you this recipe, let me say that there are few things I refuse to eat and canteloupe is one of them. Beets, I'm not gonna eat a beet! And liver, unless it's in Rumaki! I don't eat eggplant not because I don't like it, I do, but eggplant does a serious number on my stomach! We'll leave that at that.

No comments: