Highway 431 Blog

Monday, March 31, 2008

Opening Day Of Baseball ::

And the Braves lost! Well, the season is long.

I remember the good old days before they started winning: a general admission seat could be had in the outfield for $3. I had a friend who lived in Grant Park well within walking distance of the baseball park and he was even more of a baseball fan than I. We could amble over to the field and have a great time along with the other 5 to 6 thousand die-hard fans. After the game we would go back to Bill's house and drink a cold adult beverage or 3 while the traffic went away and then I would head back home.

Dale Murphy played in the outfield. Phil Niekro pitched. Bob Horner played 3rd base and I once saw him hit 3 home runs and a triple which missed being a home run by inches in one game. Does anyone remember the Mad Hungarian? Glenn Hubbard?

Joe Torre has now moved on to the L.A. Dodgers (A team I have never forgiven for having left Brooklyn in my youth. Joe was a customer of mine in Atlanta and was always gracious and remarkably soft-spoken! (Kenny Rogers was also a customer).

I shudder to think what a trip to the old ball park must cost these days!

No comments: