Highway 431 Blog

Monday, September 22, 2008

Bicycle Riding In Around Huntsville ::

I just rode my bike a short way up the road-a rural road with relatively sane traffic.

We have, unfortunately, just lost a rider to an accident last week. When I first moved to Huntsville I had a pretty nice, although aged, Peugeot road bike, but I quickly realized that biking around here is extremely hazardous so I got rid of the bike. I now have a relatively inexpensive mountain bike which I can ride through the fields around home, but I often come across large groups of bikers on Hobbs Island Road and I cringe every time I see them. I find this road to be extremely dangerous in a car and I would not conceive of riding a bicycle on this route between Huntsville and New Hope.

When I lived in south Huntsville I enjoyed the Aldridge Creek Greenway and often rode it down to Ditto Landing. I would really like to see bike lanes on local roads such I saw in Belgium lo those many years ago when I visited that country.

I make a conscious and concerted effort to protect bicycle riders when I see them on the road and I urge everyone to do the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed the same thing. The roads don't seem to have much of a shoulder for cycling. Even the Arsenal is very crowded and busy.

Fred said...

Here's an Arsenal story for you. I work on the NASA side and a few weeks ago I was leaving work and got behind a bike rider and was unable to pass. That was ok as I'm always patient around the bike riders but we got down to an area where the jogging path crosses the road and there was a guy who I see running every day. He stopped for the bicycle and let it go and then ran right out in front of me!