Highway 431 Blog

Friday, June 11, 2010

The Huntsville Times: A Waste Of Newsprint! ::

I've long been amazed at just how much goes on in and around Huntsville that the local newspaper, The Huntsville Times, turns a blind eye to and never gets reported. Just a couple of days ago some poor schmuck committed suicide in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart down in the Hampton Cove area, but I've yet to see anything reported in the local fish wrapper. Almost 13 years ago my wife was in an auto accident and spent a considerable amount of time in Huntsville Hospital and we, the family and I, became well acquainted with the nurses over a 2 month period and from them we learned of at least 2 rapes in the Huntsville Hospital parking lot in a one week period that were never reported anywhere.

There have been a couple of stories that I had some personal knowledge of and passed on tips to a couple of reporters and at least one editor with no follow-up from them and my only conclusion from this is that the Huntsville Times is nothing more or less than a shill for the local government and chamber of commerce.

It's a sad situation and I fear that there is no remedy given the blind eye turned to events which could reflect negatively on the local officials, government in general, and business interests.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That "poor schmuck" had a name. He had a wife and he had three lovely daughters. He HAD a job at NASA and was a West Point Graduate. The family requested that the situation be kept quiet for the sake of their privacy. This man was a warm, friendly, smart,talented person and will leave a void in the lives of those who knew him.

Fred said...

I apologize if I came off as uncaring or unsympathetic because that certainly is not the case. I have had several friends who have taken their own lives over the years, but I've never understood how someone can take this permanent solution to what is usually a temporary problem!

Again, my sympathies are with the family!

Anonymous said...

I was actually looking for the name of the man who committed suicide and came across your blog. I didn't really think I'd find anything on it though b/c how exactly do you report, "So and So committed Suicide this past Wednesday..." I don't really blame the family, but I just couldn't remember his first name.

Fred said...

My thoughts were why would someone commit suicide in such a public place and why would it be kept so quiet. I respect the family's wish for privacy. If I really wanted to I could find out the name and details, but the really curious thing is that, from what I understand from the people who work at the Wal-Mart, the car wasn't hauled away for a couple of days. I thought that was terribly odd and I would have expected that the car would have been gone very shortly after the investigation was concluded.

Once again, my sympathies are with the family!