Highway 431 Blog

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Happenings In North Alabama ::

I thought that I was pretty good about following what was coming up here in north Alabama, but I've decided I'm continually behind in knowing what is happening in a lot of areas. John Edwards had originally scheduled a visit to Huntsville Wednesday, but the news is that this visit has been canceled and he will be going to New Orleans. The latest from al.com is that John Edwards will be at the Huntsville Airport Thursday morning for an appearance:

Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards will fly into Huntsville Thursday morning for an airport press conference.

The event is scheduled for 9 a.m. at the Huntsville airport. The Edwards campaign originally had scheduled the press conference for today but canceled it in favor of a campaign trip to New Orleans.

Edwards will be back in Alabama Saturday for an afternoon appearance in Birmingham. A campaign spokeswoman said the time and place of that appearance has not yet been decided.

The campaign of GOP presidential candidate Sen. John McCain also announced today that he will be in Birmingham Saturday afternoon for a rally at a downtown hotel.

Alabama voters go to the polls Feb. 5th to cast ballots in the state's presidential primary, one of 22 primaries and caucuses being held on that day.


And McCain will be in Birmingham Saturday afternoon. I'm glad to see that candidates are at least making some sort of appearance in Alabama! I'm hoping that I will be able to take a couple of hours off Thursday morning to at least make an appearance and show my support for John Edwards.

Dr. Doug Phillips is also making appearance on Monte Sano Mountain this evening. I didn't find out about this until about 4pm and was unable to rearrange my schedule althought I am a fan of Discovering Alabama on Alabam Public Television! Phillips' show is a wonderful resource for educating citizens of Alabama on the wonderful natural surroundings we have here in Alabama.

I follow the local media pretty closely, but I seem to miss a lot more than I should and I don't know how to remedy this. I have yet to decide if this is a failing on my part or simply a local failing of PR campaigns.

Politically I get e-mails from all of the top tier Dem candidates, but I'm not sure that the candidates, other than Obama, are doing a good job of publicizing their appearances.

I will continue to urge the Democratic candidates to become more high profile in Alabama. I really don't think that this is such a red state as it has been profiled.

And where is the Vivian Davis Figures campaign?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Fred,

Did you hear the the Bill Clinton is coming to town? Here's the story

Bill Clinton to Visit Huntsville